Monday, January 16, 2012

Less Scarecrow, More Birdman....

I needed to make a scarecrow. Well, truth be told, there was less need and more general wanting. I mean, let's be honest. A scarecrow! Is there no better pal in the garden? 
Still, in order to give people a satisfying answer to the (needless) question of "why did you make a scarecrow?" I had to think of a reasoned response. .....


There are birds in my garden. Birds.... The seemingly innocuous kinds that would barely rate a mention in the morning singsong awards. They're not real pretty either. 
Birds that lack any of those typical birdy traits like delicacy, beauty or say.. fear of other creatures! Instead they have sheer will and street smartness (possibly the best evolutionary swap for an animal adapting to life amongst humans).  
 The Indian Myna bird, the Common Blackbird and the Pigeon are the ONLY birds that frequent my garden. Talented but ultimately scorned, as I found out after a quick Google search.  


      



And how about this! - 







Apparently my scorn is shared by many. It almost made me feel bad for the little feller and his beady yellow eye...








So, questioners satisfied, I set about planning a scarecrow. Overalls - check. Hay to stuff him with - check. Two long sticks - check. Pillowcase with questionable stain to make head - check. My very clever and arty mate Katie came over and added all I was missing - skill. 
A fine afternoon of studious attention to detail and serious application to the task at hand. The photos speak for themselves...





























I love you scarecrow....


1 comment:

  1. Have a chat with your northern couz, Brian. He LOVES crows. Just loves them. You two could start a common bird appreciation society. He also seems to be supporting the local fox population with a healthy diet of fresh organic chicken sushi. (what is raw chicken called?) --- Knocked-up-Jen

    ReplyDelete