Monday, January 3, 2011

Eating my words. And snow peas.

In my last post I was settling in for a sure state of inaction and an unforgiving stalemate between the garden and I. Nothing was changing. Some things looked sickly. I was reading too much about what gardens are supposed to have.  Then I took off for 10 days on christmas holidays, leaving the garden maintenance to two friends (and geez aren't friends great things).  Although they both know how to water a plant, I  felt I needed to leave them an essay on what to do anyway. 

In the first few days away, I pretended to be nonchalant and indifferent. pfff, so what about it..? I don't care what happens...  Eventually I gave in and fretted the whole time about the garden I'd fallen out with only a week ago. 

When we got back home, tired and sore from a long day of travel, I raced out back with the torch, squinting to see the state of things.  And geeps! things were great. Green; growing; fruit developing; stalks longer; plants taller; stems giving way to flowering buds. It was as if the garden has been holding out until I left to finally relax and do what it does. 

So the beans have reached the height of the fence. Green tomatoes are appearing on our biggest plants. Capsicums have arrived -even on the sickly plant! (gosh, what a trooper). Peas have appeared on incidental creepers from the pea straw I lay down as mulch. The potatoes are flowering. And the sunflowers are about to bust with yellow brilliance. The rose bushes are as tall as I am and are boasting  posh and pretty pink flowers. 

KK and Ames - thank you lovely ladies!  You'll be feasting on our first bowl of  "Joey's Salad au Gardin". 

I have a garden. And it is magnificent. 


*editor's note - the author reserves the right to publish non-grammatical sentences for the sake of creative licence. Lower-case letters after punctuation marks are not strictly correct and the author wishes to advise that these are her own personal grammatical manipulations and do not represent the grammar choices of the wider community. 








No comments:

Post a Comment